Install Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
This application is a program written in Java which needs the JRE to be installed on your computer. You can see whether it is already installed by checking the version (see below). This application needs version 1.8.0 or later. This application could have been converted to a native format (exe or app) but this results in a much bigger file.
- Check version: In a Command Prompt (search for 'Command Prompt'), type:
- If the required version of Java is not already installed, go to https://java.com/download/. Download and install the version for your operating system.
Download and install Amcalc
- Download the zip file.
- Right-click on the downloaded zip file and click 'Extract All'.
- Keep the current folder as the extraction target (e.g. C:\Users\Mike\Downloads not C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\Amcalc).
- Move the extracted folder to where you want to install the application (e.g. C:\Program Files).
- Open the folder in its new location. The program will run if you double-click the Executable Jar File (Amcalc.jar), but the following steps create a more professional-looking installation.
- Create a shortcut on the Desktop: Right-click the Executable Jar File, click 'Create Shortcut'. Click 'Yes' if you get a message which says 'A shortcut can't be created in this location. Do you want to create it on the Desktop?' otherwise, drag the shortcut to the desktop.
- Right-click the Shortcut and click 'Properties'.
- In the Shortcut tab, click the 'Change Icon' button.
- Click the 'Browse...' button and browse to the 'images' folder in the application folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Amcalc\images).
- Select the displayed icon.
- Click the 'General' tab and change the Shortcut's name from 'Amcalc.jar - Shortcut' to 'Amcalc'.
- Double-click the Shortcut to run the application.